Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ivory Coast - Citrus Seared Scallops




















I like scallops, but they have never been one of those food that I ever make at home. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's because they seem so fancy and foreign. I'm not sure. But Since I like them I should try making them, right?

You can use a variety of spices on seared scallops, from lightly salted with fresh ground black pepper to squeezed lime and a dash of chili powder (balsamic dressing is also awesome). I, however, saw an opportunity to further expand my spice drawer, and I picked up West-African Citrus Spice from Silk Road. The beauty of scallops, or really any seafood, is the diversity it has. I added these to a bed of  mixed greens. Experiment with different spices and sauces. You never know what you'll come across!
5 Scallops per person (depending on size of course)
1 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons spice (salt and pepper is a great start)

Remove the side muscle from each scallop, rinse well under cold water, pat dry with paper towel.
Add both butter and oil to a fry pan on high heat.
Rub scallops with spice.
Wait for oil to heat, but not smoke.
Gently add the scallops, without touching each other, to the pan.
Sear each scallop for about 2 mins on each side.
The scallop will have a a nice gold crust on both sides and be almost firm to the touch when done.
Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...