Monday, June 13, 2011

Veggies in Man Food Heaven - Grilled Cheesy Tomatoes



















 I've been looking for something that's easy. I know, that's a rather a broad statement.
What I mean is, I've been in search of an easy side dish which can be popped onto the BBQ to accompany steaks, chicken, ribs, whatever. I have the tendency to serve the same garlic bread and salad with corn ears when BBQing in the summer. Not that I have any objection (obviously) to making new and different things, it`s just, well I love salad, garlic toast and corn on the cob. And really, who will fault me for that? Anyway, despite all of this, I went looking anyway.
And I have finally found one.

On a side note - a stainless BBQ tray works just as well. I lined with foil and spritzed with cooking spray. However, below is an easy cleanup solution, just rinse and recycle.

4 small tomatoes, tops cut off
1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
2 Tablespoons Parmesan
1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped 

Heat BBQ to med-high heat.
Place tomatoes, cut side up in an 8 inch square foil pan spritzed with cooking spray.
Drizzle with dressing, top with both cheeses. Place pan on BBQ.
Grill for about 10 - 12 mins, or until cheeses are melted and tomatoes are soft(ish).
Sprinkle with fresh basil.

PS: Since I am generally both useless and distrusted around BBQ on my own, I made these in the oven, they take a little longer, about 15 mins on the centre rack at 360degrees F.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...