Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Salad Series - I Left (my heart in) San Francisco



















 Salads inspired by songs?
Maybe... But mainly I love music. I love food. Why not marry them? Even if only briefly.
I was in San Francisco a few years ago and nearly died of over indulgence from all the crab cakes I ate. It would have been so worth it. This recipe makes six cakes, and serves as more of a larger appetizer then a true side. But I've never had any complaints regarding that. Plus, it's totally easy to put together when company arrives, since it can be made pretty much ahead of time.

For Crab Cakes:
2 cans crab meat, drained (the best crab meat is actually at the butcher counter, kept cold)
8 saltine crackers, finely crushed 
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 egg, beaten
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon mustard 
splash of Worcestershire
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Line Seasoning
pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons veggie oil

For Salad:
4 cups mixed greens (something with arugula in it, the peppery flavour compliments the crab cakes perfectly)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup seedless grapes, halved
2 Tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
6 large strawberries, sliced
1 large orange, cut into thin slices
1/2 cup watermelon, cubed

1 lemon, wedged
olive oil
balsamic vinegar

Check the meat for cartilage, careful not to break up the lumps of crab.
Mix all other ingredients in a separate bowl. Carefully fold on crab only enough to mix the ingredients.
Shape into 6 cakes, refigerate for at least 1 hour.

Assemble salad.

Heat veggie oil in large non stick frypan over medium heat. Cook cakes until golden brown, about 5 mins per side.

Serve cakes hot on top of salad, with a wedge of lemon. drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

1 comment:

  1. I am gluten free and I am going to try this. I have GF worchestershire sauce (Heinz) and the rest should be easy. For crackers I am going to try the Glutino Original Flavour. It sounds great. I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...