Saturday, June 4, 2011

Kidneys vs Feathers - Rosemary Lemon Roast Chicken




















I will not be bested by a bird. Especially a dead bird wrapped in cellophane.
In my continued search to try new things, I have decided that instead of simply going to Safeway and buying a pre-roasted ready to eat rather greasy chicken, I would attempt my own (again). This though came to me in bed the other night. Do you ever do that? Lay in bed thinking of food? I do. It’s easier on the waistline and you can let your mind wander. I digress. Yesterday, I happily picked up the cutest 2lb chicken at Safeway along with a couple lemons (grab fresh rosemary too, I grow it at home, but grocery stores will carry containers of it in the fresh isle.)
I should to point out, I’m less concerned with never having actually successfully cooking a bird before then I am about the sticker on the package which in bold capitals warning me there may be the birds kidneys left inside. Gross. Although as Brittany pointed out, kidneys are better than feathers. Agreed.
4 pound roasting chicken (mine is a 2 pounder, so feel free to adjust this accordingly - very easy)
2 lemons, washed and halved
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
Pepper & salt
Olive oil

Preheat the oven to 415degrees F.
Rinse chicken (beware of the kidneys) and pat dry with paper towel.
In a large bowl (big enough to fit the chicken) squeeze lemons (don’t worry about the seeds and toss the rinds in the bowl after squeezing), add rosemary springs and about 1 teaspoon of pepper.
Mix together (this is your rough rub for the bird)
Put the chicken in the bowl with the rub, turning to coat
Stuff as much of the rub into bird as you can.
Truss your little bird (doesn't have to be fancy, just tie the legs together and tuck the wings under)
Place in a roasting pan, breast side up, pour left over juice from rub bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
Salt generously
I usually cover loosely in foil, but you dont have to (if your bird looks like it is darkening too quickly, then you should).
Roast at 415degrees F for 15 mins, then turn down too 375degrees F for about an hour, or until internal temp reaches about 170-180degress F.
Baste twice during cooking, be quick when taking the bird out, you dont want to loose too much heat, that will increase cooking time.
After taking it out, let the bird rest for about 5 - 10 mins to collect the juices from the pan.
Serve with rice (or potatoes) and greens.
Wonderful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...