Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Don't Run or Burn - Maple Dressing



















I know what you're thinking.
"Don't run or burn"? What the heck does that have to do with salad dressing??
Well, it's not a long story, but certainly an entertaining one.
Mom and George were down in small-town Minnesota for the 4th of July, George was wearing a CN Rail hat and traded with a local woman who took a fancy to it. The hat he got in exchange is American beyond words. I love it. And plan to steal it when he's not looking.
Not that the hat story has much to do with maple dressing, but it was on this trip that my mom discovered it and she swears it's the best salad she has ever had. I found this in a 2002 edition of Bon Appetite magazine,. I have paired with the spinach, apple slices, strawberries and pecans, but try it with whatever takes your fancy.

1/4 cup mayonnaise (How I Met Your Mother, anyone??)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons white sugar
1/2 cup olive oil (you can use veggie if you wish, I like olive better)
Salt & Pepper

In a small bowl, whisk the first 4 ingredients together. Slowly add in the oil until mixture thickens. Salt and pepper to taste. This can be made up to 3 days ahead and stored in the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. I found the olive oil a bit heavy. Mybe it was just the type of olive oil I have. I will try it again with canola oil. I kept tasting and found it really good up to the point where I added the olive oil. I may not even use oil next time. It makes a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...