Saturday, January 12, 2013

No More Chocolate - Apple Brownies



They say (whoever “They” are) that a picture is worth a thousand words. And I’m sure it’s true. That being said, of course, it would be tremendously helpful if I actually remembered to take one. 

As it is. I didn’t.

I pitched the whole "Apple Brownies" idea to Nathan, mainly because I didn't want to make another chocolate dessert. I'll admit to being rather chocolated-out this holiday season. He was reluctant. But since I haven't poisened him yet, he's generally smart enough to let me do my own thing in the kitchen. Which was lucky for everyone, since there taste simply divine. 

They are actually like eating perfect squares of apple pie. And, as an added bonus - they are so easy to make it's ridiculous! 

I found these, like any good hostess, in the Best of Bridge cookbook. All I changed was I added more apples, more pecans and Silk Road's Apple Pie blend instead of straight cinnamon. I know, I really shouldn't go around changing things before I try them the way they should be, but I've never been one to follow directions. 

1 cup butter, soft
2 cups sugar 
2 eggs 
2 cups flour 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon EACH baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon or in my case (Silk Road Spice Merchant Apple Pie Spice)
2 - 3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped 
1/2 cup chopped pecans 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F, spray 9x13" dish with non-stick cooking spray. 
In a blender, combine butter, sugar and salt until creamy. 
Whip in eggs. 
Combine flour, soda, baking powder and cinnamon until well combined. 
Add chopped apples and pecans, mixture will be very thick.  Spread into the greased baking dish evenly and bake for 35 - 40 minutes. 

Warning: You will want to eat this straight from the pan with a spoon (or your bare hands). That's totally fine. :)

1 comment:

  1. I haven't looked in for a while. Too busy planning a wedding, renovating a bathroom and hanging out with my daughter. I am happy you are still blogging. I enjoyed the Wardrobe addict too but couldn't get the photos to work. I am going to try the granola bars this week. I finally found some GF oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...