Monday, November 21, 2011

Something Un-Ocassional - Chicken Cordon Bleu



















Personally, I love meals I can make ahead and stick in the oven as soon as I get home. I'm at my most creative and energetic at night, so it suits me perfectly. I also love dishes that make me look amazing. This is no exception. Chicken Cordon Bleu is one of those 'fancy' dishes that is usually brought out at special occasions, or even just saved for restaurants. I'm really sure why. I try to incorporate it into our normal meal rotation (although, I will admit my definition of 'normal' is very different from most... rosemary-mint lamb chops or beer-battered cod anyone?).

Now, to be fair, I am making this today in belated celebration of my mom's birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!) so this does fall under the special occasion category, all I mean is, it's too good not to make on a more regular basis. And, it's make-ahead friendly and totally easy. 


6 chicken breasts
6 slices swiss cheese
200 grams sliced deli ham, divided into 6 equal portions
16 slices bacon, thick or regular - up to you!

Pound each chicken breast with a meat tenderizer until about 1/2 inch thick.
Add deli ham and one slice of cheese.
Wrap chicken as best you can around the ham and cheese, making little packages. Wrap two slices of bacon around the chicken to secure.
These can be kept in a tightly closed container overnight or baked immediately. 
Bake at 375 degrees F for approx one hour. Check at the 45 min mark, but chances are, you`ll need another 15 mins.
I love this served with rice or steamed new potatoes and garlic green beans (coming soon).
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...